Oh boy, have you ever tasted Jamaican foods? They are always so well done (sometimes overdone) but full of rich flavors and not too far from their original state. Most Jamaicans eat foods that are less processed for breakfast and dinner. Foods such as yams, green bananas, potatoes, pumpkin, breadfruit and so on.
There are also soups that they enjoy and one such is the frugal Asian ramen noodles. But! not before they add their own twist to the meal.
So here we go!
For this recipe, season the one side of a whole chicken’s breast properly with one-ounce of jerk seasoning.
Ensure that the chicken breast is properly thawed to room temperature before seasoning it. Poke holes in the chicken breast to allow the seasoning to get inside there.
Place the chicken breast in a nice shuttable container or zip lock bag to soak overnight in the refrigerator.
If you are firing up the charcoal grill, it will take about 30 minutes on low flames while turning every five minutes.
If you are using an oven, place the chicken breast in a baking sheet on top of some pieces of garlic, onion, thyme and carrot scraps. bake for thirty minutes at 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
Remove, slice and it will be ready to serve.
Here is how you add a Jamaican twist to an Asian meal such as this ramen noodle.
Jamaican Jerk Chicken Ramen Noodles
1 Chicken Breast ( Seasoned overnight)
2 Cups chicken stock
1 Teaspoon Ginger
1 teaspoons garlic
½ Cup Diced Pumpkin
½ Cup Diced Carrot
1 Teaspoon sea salt
3 Small Okras
¼ cup Escallion (green onion)
¼ teaspoon Scotch Bonnet Pepper (deseeded and finely chopped)
½ Cup coconut milk
- Heat up your grill or set your oven to 375 °F.
- Place chicken on the heated grill for about 45 minutes, baste the chicken breast with beer of coca cola. Jamaicans use red stripe beer; turning every ten to 15 minutes until the juice from the inside runs clear. This is your indicator that the chicken breast is cooked.
- If you are using an oven, chop a little piece of carrot and half of an onion and place it in an oven safe pan. Place chicken breast on top of the vegetables. Alternatively, you can use scraps of onion, garlic, thyme and so on to be the base any meat you are baking.
- Pour some beer or coca cola in the bottom of the pan to keep the chicken breast moist while it bakes. Do not cover. Place in the oven for 45 minutes, checking every 20 minutes to see if the liquid has dried out. Replenish liquid if it has dried out to prevent burning.
- Cook egg
- Simmer the following in the chicken stock for 10-15 minutes; ginger, garlic, salt, pumpkin, okra, scallion, carrot, and scotch bonnet pepper.
- Pour in the coconut milk.
- Add the Ramen noodle and let it cook 2 minutes. Pour into a bowl. Slice finished chicken breast and place it on top. Slice the egg and add it also.
There you have it, Jamaican Jerk Chicken Ramen Noodles! The real twist to an Asian meal.